Legal Stay in China

Valid Stay in China

Every foreigner must have valid passport and visa/residence permit to stay in China. Staying with expired or fake passport and visa/residence permit will be treated as being illegal. Therefore, please pay attention to the status of your passport and visa/residence permit and make sure not to leave them expired.

Foreigners living in China should also register the accommodation address at the local police station. Within 24 hours after moving into a new place, the foreigner should take the passport to the local police station or other authorized organization with his/her landlord to get a Registration Form of Temporary Residence. In some hotels and international student apartments, it can be processed directly at the reception. Please keep the Registration Form of Temporary Residence and the passport carefully, and bring them together when going out.

The Department of Exit and Entry Administration, Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau (Visa Center) is the authority in Beijing for these affairs and plays the similar roles to the Immigration in some other countries. The contact information about the Visa Center in Beijing is :

Department of Exit and Entry Administration, Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau (Visa Center)
Address: No. 2 Andingmen Dongdajie, Dongcheng District, Beijing (About 500 meters east to the Southeast Exit of Yonghegong Subway Station, a transfer station for Subway Line 2 and Line 5)
Tel: 010-84020101
Office hours: 9:00 - 17:00, Monday - Saturday (public holidays excluded).

Penalty of Violation

According to the Rules for the Implementation of the People's Republic of China on Control of the Entry and Exit  of Aliens, illegal stay in China is a serious violation to the law.  

The aliens who illegally stay in China will be subjected to a warning, fine (RMB 500 per day, maximum RMB  10,000), detention, exit within a specified time, repatriation, or deportation. The repatriated and deported foreigners are not allowed for entry within 5 years and 10 years, respectively.


© 2014 All Copyrights Reserved
International Students Office, Tsinghua University Beijing 100084, P.R.China