Accommodation and Housing

The University provides on-campus apartments for international scholars. These include one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and three-bedroom apartments. For those coming to Beijing for the first time, living on campus is highly recommended because it can be quite difficult to find a suitable apartment once you arrive, and you may need to furnish it and also undertake registration procedures yourself off-campus, such as obtaining an Accommodation Registration Form from the local police station.

Because the availability of apartments in Tsinghua is limited, you should ask your host department at Tsinghua to apply for one on your behalf as soon as possible.

If you find an appropriate apartment off-campus to rent, you are free to move there. The most important thing for foreigners both living on- and off-campus is to always be registered at your local police station through the obtaining of an Accommodation Registration Form (住宿登记表).

Please refer to the detailed information about Accommodation Registration in the previous section. 

Tips for Living on Campus

Water, gas and electricity bills: If you live on campus you are responsibility for paying for your own water, gas and electricity usage. Those living in the Zijing apartment buildings on campus do not need to pay.

Electric vehicle batteries are not allowed to be charged in or brought into the Zijing Apartment buildings. For further information and updates to regulations, please refer to the front desk reception in the Zijing apartments.

Tap water is not drinkable in Beijing and should first be boiled before consumed. If you are spending more than a few months in Beijing, it is recommended that you either purchase bottled water or a water tank during your time in Beijing. For information on local water suppliers on campus, please contact the Zijing reception or service staff at the ISSC.