Visa & Resident Permit
Applying for a Visa

The purpose of international scholars’ stay in China should conform to the type of visa they hold. International scholars coming to Tsinghua usually hold one of the following types of visas:

(After the COVID-19 outbreak, the application requirements and processes for Visas have been adjusted accordingly. For international scholars planning to come to China, please consult the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in your country about the latest policies and entry requirements and contact your inviter at Tsinghua for the local epidemic prevention and control requirements in advance.)

F Visa: International scholars who are planning a short term-visit to Tsinghua (for example for academic exchange or to attend an academic conference) for a time duration of less than 3 months without payment are generally required to apply for an F Visa before entry into China. Since the maximum stay under an F Visa is usually 90 days, applicants for this visa need to have a clear idea about the entry and exit date of their intended stay in China. The host department/school/institution of Tsinghua University can help visiting scholars apply for an Invitation Letter for F Visa from the Office of International Affairs. This application process usually takes 3 to 5 working days. The host department and the applicant are strongly advised to apply for the Invitation Letter at least 4 weeks before the scholar’s scheduled arrival, so that the scholar has sufficient time to apply for his or her visa at the Chinese embassy or consulate in his or her home country or another designated country.

Z Visa: International scholars employed by Tsinghua should follow the procedures to obtain a Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit from the Beijing Administration of Foreign Expert Affairs. It takes approximately 6-8 weeks for the host department to apply. After receiving the e-copy of the Notification Letter of Foreigner’s Work Permit the international scholar, as well as their accompanying family members, shall apply for a Visa Z (for scholars) and a Visa S1 (for family members) at the Chinese embassy or consulate in their home country or another country where they have resided for more than 3 months.

R Visa: R Visa is issued to those who are high-level talents or whose skills are urgently needed in China. For detailed information, please request your host professor in Tsinghua to consult with the Office of International Affairs.

For visa and residence permit affairs at Tsinghua, please contact the Division of Global Scholars (引智办公室).

Contact details: 86 10 62783574,

Visas for Dependents (Spouses & Children)

International scholars’dependent(s) can apply for visas from the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in their home country, please consult with the Embassy or Consulate for detailed information.